Buteyko Technique: Origins, Science, Trials, Reviews, ...
The Buteyko method was clinically applied during best ever known clinical trials on cancer and asthma.
This breath technique was created by Doctor Konstantin Pavlovich Buteyko, MD, PhD, a leading Soviet physiologist. In the early 1960's, he became the Manager of the Respiratory Laboratory created for classified scientific research for Soviet Cosmos and first outer space missions (including the 1964 flight of Yury Gagarin, the first man in space).
The Buteyko breathing technique (also known as the Buteyko method or
Buteyko breathing method) is a system of activities that include:
- reduced breathing exercises (similar to meditation in tidal volume, and to pranayama in relation to CO2 increase)
- lifestyle changes.
The goal of the Buteyko technique is to normalize one's automatic breathing pattern (learning how to breathe in accordance with medical norms 24/7) so as to increase body and brain oxygenation. Trials and clinical experience suggest that the method is effective for many other conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, bronchitis, sleep apnea, and so forth.
Buteyko breath technique and chronic diseases
Minute ventilation rates (chronic diseases)
| All references or
click below for abstracts
|Normal breathing||6 L/min||-||Medical textbooks|
|Healthy Subjects||6-7 L/min||>400||Results of 14 studies|
|Heart disease||15 (+-4) L/min||22||Dimopoulou et al, 2001|
|Heart disease||16 (+-2) L/min||11||Johnson et al, 2000|
|Heart disease||12 (+-3) L/min||132||Fanfulla et al, 1998|
|Heart disease||15 (+-4) L/min||55||Clark et al, 1997|
|Heart disease||13 (+-4) L/min||15||Banning et al, 1995|
|Heart disease||15 (+-4) L/min||88||Clark et al, 1995|
|Heart disease||14 (+-2) L/min||30||Buller et al, 1990|
|Heart disease||16 (+-6) L/min||20||Elborn et al, 1990|
|Pulm hypertension||12 (+-2) L/min||11||D'Alonzo et al, 1987|
|Cancer||12 (+-2) L/min||40||Travers et al, 2008|
|Diabetes||12-17 L/min||26||Bottini et al, 2003|
|Diabetes||15 (+-2) L/min||45||Tantucci et al, 2001|
|Diabetes||12 (+-2) L/min||8||Mancini et al, 1999|
|Diabetes||10-20 L/min||28||Tantucci et al, 1997|
|Diabetes||13 (+-2) L/min||20||Tantucci et al, 1996|
|Asthma||13 (+-2) L/min||16||Chalupa et al, 2004|
|Asthma||15 L/min||8||Johnson et al, 1995|
|Asthma||14 (+-6) L/min||39||Bowler et al, 1998|
|Asthma||13 (+-4) L/min||17||Kassabian et al, 1982|
|Asthma||12 L/min||101||McFadden, Lyons, 1968|
|COPD||14 (+-2) L/min||12||Palange et al, 2001|
|COPD||12 (+-2) L/min||10||Sinderby et al, 2001|
|COPD||14 L/min||3||Stulbarg et al, 2001|
|Sleep apnea||15 (+-3) L/min||20||Radwan et al, 2001|
|Liver cirrhosis||11-18 L/min||24||Epstein et al, 1998|
|Hyperthyroidism||15 (+-1) L/min||42||Kahaly, 1998|
|Cystic fibrosis||15 L/min||15||Fauroux et al, 2006|
|Cystic fibrosis||10 L/min||11||Browning et al, 1990|
|Cystic fibrosis*||10 L/min||10||Ward et al, 1999|
|CF and diabetes*||10 L/min||7||Ward et al, 1999|
|Cystic fibrosis||16 L/min||7||Dodd et al, 2006|
|Cystic fibrosis||18 L/min||9||McKone et al, 2005|
|Cystic fibrosis*||13 (+-2) L/min||10||Bell et al, 1996|
|Cystic fibrosis||11-14 L/min||6||Tepper et al, 1983|
|Epilepsy||13 L/min||12||Esquivel et al, 1991|
|CHV||13 (+-2) L/min||134||Han et al, 1997|
|Panic disorder||12 (+-5) L/min||12||Pain et al, 1991|
|Bipolar disorder||11 (+-2) L/min||16||MacKinnon et al, 2007|
|Dystrophia myotonica||16 (+-4) L/min||12||Clague et al, 1994|
Note that advanced stages of asthma can lead to lung destruction, ventilation-perfusion mismatch,
and arterial hypercapnia causing further reduction in body oxygen levels.
Dr. Konstantin Buteyko suggested and confirmed using thousands of his patients
- People with chronic health conditions suffer from alveolar hypocapnia (a lack of CO2 in the lungs) due to chronic hyperventilation syndrome
- If these people normalize their unconscious breathing, their symptoms and diseases are going to disappear.
Key features of the Buteyko breath technique:
- The Buteyko method is approved by
the Russian Ministry of Health
- Used by over 180 Soviet and Russian medical doctors personally trained by Dr. Buteyko
- Applied by medical doctors on more than 100,000 asthmatics, over 30,000 people with cardiovascular problems and thousands of patients with other conditions (bronchitis, sleep apnea, diabetes, cancer, HIV, liver cirrhosis, and so forth)
- Tested by clinical trials both in the USSR and in the West, including 6 Western randomized controlled trials of the Buteyko technique on asthma (with over 90% reduction in medication) and Soviet trials on HIV-AIDS, radiation disease, heart disease (cardiovascular disease), liver cirrhosis, hepatitis B, and metastatic cancer (with 6 times reduction in 3-year mortality).
The method was chiefly brought to the Western world by Alexander Stalmatski.
The technique leads to a better quality of life especially for people with active lifestyles such as athletes or recruits.
For more information about history, testimonials of Western physicians, clinical effects in relation to specific health conditions, clinical trials, persecutions by Siberian KGB (Soviet secret service), and other Buteyko-related topics, please use the menu of the left side.
The major modules that describe Buteyko breathing exercises and its crucial lifestyle changes are located in the Learning section: Buteyko exercises.
You can leave your feedback and comments below. Thanks.