- Updated on August 13, 2020
Proofread and Grammarly-Daan-okt-2019
Proofread by Samson Hui Proofreader on July **, 2019
By Dr. Artour Rakhimov, Alternative Health Educator and Author
- Medically Reviewed by Naziliya Rakhimova, MD
Learning the Buteyko method by modules
Your rate of CP progress, while practicing the Buteyko method, depends on many factors.
Generally speaking, when my students correctly address all lifestyle factors, as described in this module course, they progress with the average CP growth of 4 to 6 secs in 1 week. Note: this is possible because in their early stages of learning, they practice with a DIY breathing device (that they make with the help of my do-it-yourself instruction manual).
When practicing only traditional Buteyko reduced breathing exercises, the rate is typically slower (2 to 4 secs higher CP in a week’s time).
Some of the factors that influence the rate of CP progress may not currently be under your control. For example:
1. Age. When we are younger, it is easier for the body to adjust to new metabolic and physiological states. Young children often can progress from, for example, 5 secs. up to 60 secs. CP in 3-5 days; teenagers to CP 60 in 2 to 3 weeks; the elderly in many months.
2. Body fat reserves. Obesity makes progress slower. When practicing breathing exercises, the first thing that happens to obese students, is that they naturally lose weight while having more energy and less hunger. They can experience moderate CP growth during their initial period of learning. Later, they progress normally.
3. Amounts and types of medication used in the past. Students who took large amounts of medical drugs in previous years may experience slower rates of progress. (At the same time, people on medication can be highly motivated to practice! And may progress quickly.)
That said, there are many parameters that you can influence to accelerate your success in learning the Buteyko method. These include:
1. Time devoted to breathing exercises. Normally, I recommend a minimum of 1 hour per day for breathing exercises, along with at least 1 hour for safe physical activity (with nasal breathing only).
2. Prompt correction of abnormal lifestyle factors.
3. Growing personal self-discipline, perseverance, and willpower.
4. Discovering specific hidden factors, which are the main stumbling block for your better health on a daily basis.
5. Optimizing your behavior based on all these considerations.
As we proceed with the module course, you can choose your on pace at which to learn and progress.