Why does your theoretical preparation matter? It is known from psychology that, when people ascribe more meaning to what they do, they learn things better and have better final results. You are going to have better
improving your health and body oxygenation, if you have a better understanding know about ideal breathing patterns, CO2 effects, body
oxygen test, and other topics explained on this site.
Let me also quote our teacher Doctor
Konstantin Buteyko, who in his practical manual wrote, (Buteyko KP, The method
of volitional elimination of deep breathing [Translation of the Small Buteyko
Manual], Voskresensk, 1994.)
The patients study the theory within 1 to 3 days, then their knowledge is
checked and they are given marks according to the 5 point scale system.
There exists a direct interconnection between the level of the theory
assimilated and the effect produced by the treatment. Quick-witted patients
begin to reduce the depth of respiration independently and manage to improve
Such patients who have undergone deep-respiration tests and assimilated the
theory with an excellent mark are allowed to proceed with the second stage
of training. Those who have not understood the theory will continue the
Doctor Buteyko devoted the whole section of his
manual to this factor. You can find this quote in
Assimilation of Theory, The Buteyko method or method of
volitional elimination of deep breathing
[Translation of the Small Buteyko Manual], Voskresensk, 1994.
How you can get educated? There are 3 options or methods.
Method 1. Educational YouTube videos
This is a fast and relatively easy way. You can get educated about breathing retraining using my YouTube playlist "Buteyko
breathing". You can watch all these 17 videos right below here.
My channel has this URL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/artour2006. The descriptions and titles of these video clips
can be found here. It is important
for your better understanding that you watch video clips in the
right order: 01, 02, 03, etc.
Method 2. Study pages of this site
For those who like to read, you can study pages of this website. You need to find answers to the following questions:
- What is the goal of the Buteyko method, in particular, and breathing retraining, in general?
- Why and how hyperventilation or overbreathing (or breathing more than the medical norm) reduces cell oxygen content?
- What are parameters of the normal breath pattern and ideal breathing ? What are usual parameters for automatic breathing at rest in modern people?
- How should we breathe to achieve maximum brain and body oxygen levels?
- What are main physiological effects of carbon dioxide on the human organism?
- How to measure your body-oxygen level using the CP test?
- Which lifestyle factors intensify breathing and reduce body oxygenation?
- Which lifestyle factors reduce breathing, increase CO2 levels in the lungs, and improve oxygen transport to cells and tissues?
Method 3. Study the book that has all details in one place
You can buy and read my small
PDF e-book "Oxygenate yourself: breathe less" (3 USD) which
contains main theoretical ideas about the Buteyko method and
numerous questions and answers related to breathing retraining. This
book is also available on Amazon.com (Kindle and paperback) with
the title "Breathing Slower and Less: The Greatest Health