Does the Frolov Device Encourage Mouth Breathing?
Q: Dr. Buteyko stresses using only the nose for both inhalation and exhalation and yet the Frolov device involves breathing in and out through the mouth, why?
A: Furthermore, Dr. Buteyko, as a physiologist, even provided an indirect but absolutely logical answer to this question.
"And finally one should not confuse the following concepts: we are speaking about breathing, which goes on day and night, about our basal breathing, foundation of life. Meanwhile, the system of yogi has separate breathing exercises. Therefore, it is practically unimportant for us how and what you do: feet upwards or downwards, through the right or left nostril, or by right or left side. We are interested in where you will arrive as a result of these exercises. If carbon dioxide increases, and breathing decreases, with each day, then this will ensure the transition of man into a super-endurance state." Dr. Buteyko Lecture in the Moscow State University (1969)
Now my questions are following. What is going on with carbon dioxide in the lungs during Frolov breathing device exercises? Are you going to breathe less or more after the breathing session?
We again can find out the answer in these Dr. Buteyko quotes:
Next is about physical activity, labor, and sports. Here again the fact that in our press and everywhere else, there are people who are illiterate in physiology. They have imposed upon us a thought, and again contrary to the truth, that physical activity, sport and labor deepen our breathing. This is quite the opposite! It is wrong to consider any function bureaucratically, as a fact detached from life. After all, breathing is done to ensure metabolism.
Therefore, breathing must be considered in parallel with metabolism. It turns out that physical labor, sports, and workouts increase metabolism, i.e., they increase production of carbon dioxide and carbon dioxide increases, during exercise, in the blood, while oxygen is reduced. This is what physical exercise does.
Because carbon dioxide [production] increases. Additional CO2 stimulates the respiratory center and intensifies breathing. How much? Well, only to the extent that would not further increase carbon dioxide. Thus, the more intensity, the more carbon dioxide in the blood, and the greater the irritation of the respiratory center and deeper breathing. But it is deeper only formally! And if we take into account our initial assumptions from the beginning, then carbon dioxide in the blood increases, oxygen decreases, and breathing becomes shallow, not deep. It decreased in relation to the metabolism. Here's the reason why exertion and sport are useful: they increase carbon dioxide, the foundation of life, in the body. This is why sport, exertion, and physical labor are useful.
During prolonged intensive exercise, the receptors which control breathing, adapt to increased CO2. If the person regularly works and toils, then he practically follows our method: he is decreasing his breathing using exercise. Dr. Buteyko Lecture in the Moscow State University (1969)
I can ask more questions so that it is easier to see the truth. During intensive exercise you breathe heavily, typically up to 10-15 times more air per minute than at rest. Do you similarly breathe heavily after physical activity or does physical activity helps you to breathe easier later, especially during the next night sleep? Are we mechanical or biochemical machines in terms of regulation of breathing or respiration control? If you decrease your breathing using the Frolov device, do you practically follow the Buteyko method or your breathing becomes heavier?
Now, we can approach the main question "Does the Frolov Device Encourage Mouth Breathing?" from the body oxygen level viewpoint. The CP after breathing exercises with the Frolov device gets higher, while there is a following link between the body-oxygen content and chances of mouth breathing.
Relationships between body oxygen
level and chances of open mouth
|Body-Oxygen Level||Chance of mouth breathing,
especially during sleep
|Less than 10 s||Very likely|
|20-30 s||Very unlikely|
|30-40 s||Almost impossible|
|>40 s||Virtually impossible|
Finally, it is a common situation that, if a student, who has a completely blocked nose, uses the Frolov device, he will have good nose breathing immediately after the session. If several clinical trials have found that the Frolov device therapy improves health of asthmatics and mouth breathing, as it is well known, worsens the airways inflammation and the symptoms of asthma, how could the Frolov device encourage mouth breathing?
Related links and web pages (Frolov breathing device):
- Frolov breathing device - Overview and general information about the Frolov breathing device therapy
- Frolov device history and origins are connected with the Buteyko breathing technique
- Frolov device: How does it work explains the main physiological mechanism (hypercapnic hypoxic training)
- Frolov device effects describes its main clinical effects
- Acute asthma exacerbations clinical trial - Application of the Frolov device in a hospital setting
- COPD breathing exercises - Another clinical trial with application of the Frolov device on hospitalized patients with acute exacerbation of COPD
(*** More Trials: Under construction ***)
- Buy Frolov breathing device with 30 min online support from Dr. Artour Rakhimov
- How to Use Frolov Device (Instructions): Ultimate health restoration program (90 pages book in PDF and Kindle formats) with Dinamika instructions and lifestyle manuals included
- Prototypes of the Frolov breathing device: Breathslim (breathing device for weight loss) and Samozdrav (or Cosmic Breath/Cosmic Health)
1998 USA Frolov Device Patent - USA Patent No. 5,755,640 from May 26, 1998
Summary of Safety and Effectiveness - Frolov Respiration Training Device, Case #K992256, Office for Device Evaluation, Center for Devices and Radiological Health, FDA, January 11, 2000.
Some facts about the Frolov Breathing Device:
- Over 300 health professionals (MDs, GPs or family physicians, nurses, physiotherapists, and other medical professionals) have been involved in studying, endorsing and promoting the Frolov breathing device and its application to their patients in Russia since the year 2000.
- More than 2,500,000 people in Russia could confirm that they have improved their health with the help of the Frolov Respiration Training Device, implying the goals set have been successfully achieved (http://www.intellectbreathing.com/)
- According to the results of clinical trials on children and adults and the long-term practical application of the device, it is a very efficient therapy against diseases of the respiratory, cardiovascular and nervous systems. The Frolov breathing exercises normalize oxygenation of the arterial blood, blood supply to the brain and myocardium, oxygenation of cells, the immune system, and metabolism, and improve lung function tests and abnormal blood parameters, including the hormonal profile. The exercises also improve energy level, sleep and digestion.
- Typical reduction in medication in clinical trials for bronchial asthma was about 60-80%. (Note that since correction of risk life style factors was not a part of the program, much better results are expected when the practicing person makes positive changes in this area.) Clinical trials also found reduced inflammation in airways and normalizations in the heart rate, electrocardiogram, blood pressure, cardiointervalography and renovasography measurements. The breathing device improved the removal of mucus and reduced coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath.
- Systematic clinical trials and published medical studies with hundreds of patients have been conducted on the following health problems: bronchial asthma, bronchial asthma in children, bronchial asthma with weakness of respiratory muscles, hypertension, angina pectoris, chronic bronchitis, acute stages of bronchitis, emphysema, and diabetes. Apart from these investigations, medical reports have indicated positive effects on gastrointestinal problems, cystic fibrosis, psychological disorders, obesity, osteochondrosis, and some other conditions.
Your social engagement and comments are appreciated. Thanks.
|Disclaimer||Copyright 2013 Artour Rakhimov||Contact details||About Artour Rakhimov (Google profile)|