Running Benefits: Higher Body O2 Only with Nose Breathing
What are the benefits of running? Running or jogging is the most natural way to increase body-oxygen levels and this is the main benefit of any physical exercise. The increased level of oxygen can be easily measured using the body oxygen test. Better results means better physical health and even elimination of chronic diseases, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, asthma, and bronchitis. Indeed, if the body oxygen level remains the same after weeks or months of running, there would be no improvements in symptoms and required medication.
In order to get the most benefits of running, a person needs to have the crucial main requirement for any physical exercise: more oxygen in body cells after exercise. This result is easy to achieve with strictly nasal breathing (in and out) during running. Then your breathing after exercise will be lighter providing more O2 for brain and body cells.
Nasal breathing ensures absorption of nasal NO (nitric oxide) and that immediately lowers the heart rate (for the same intensity of exercise). Additional benefits of running with nose breathing include increased CO2 levels in the blood and slower breathing after exercise, which provides more O2 in body cells. Furthermore, running with nose breathing mimics high-altitude training due to mild hypoxia. You do not need to go to mountains: get more benefits of running due to nose breathing in and out.
Soviet and Russian MDs tested thousands of patients and found that exercise with nasal breathing prevents acute exacerbations due to chronic diseases (no exercise-induced asthma, no heart attacks, no strokes, and so on) and improves oxygen transport due to increased CO2 and NO levels in the lungs and the arterial blood.
|Lifestyle factor:||Body oxygen < 30 s||Body oxygen > 50 s|
|Energy level||Medium, low, or very low||High|
|Desire to exercise||Not strong, but possible||Craving and joy of exercise|
|Intensive exercise with nose breathing||Hard or impossible||Easy and effortless|
|Typical mind states||Confusion, anxiety, depression||Focus, concentration, clarity|
|Craving for coffee, sugar and junk foods||Present||Absent|
|Addictions to smoking, alcohol, and drugs||Possible||Absent|
|Desire to eat raw foods||Weak and rare||Very common and natural|
|Correct posture||Rare and requires efforts||Natural and automatic|
|Sleep||Often of poor quality; > 7 hours||Excellent quality; < 5 hours naturally|
How to get the most running benefits
If you want to experience these benefits of running, but have little or no recent experience in running or jogging, you have to start very slowly. Too often, Buteyko students, after they achieve decent daily CP numbers due to breath work (e.g., up to 30 s or even more), experience failure in their running attempts due to injuries.
Why? Their respiratory and cardiovascular systems are able, at over 30 s CP, to experience positive effects of 1-2 hours of running. Furthermore, after doing breath work, these students have very high energy level and desire to exercise. However, since they did not do running during recent days or weeks, their muscles, tendons, ligaments and bones are not fit yet for such a long and intensive challenge.
Hence, it is crucial to consider the following suggestions, for maximum
running benefits, when you begin jogging:
- Start with walking for up to 30-60 minutes per session for 3-5 days and make a slow transition to power walking or fast walking for another 3-5 days.
- After this initial period, add only 5 min of very light and easy relaxed jogging or running at the end of your power walk (e.g., instead of 30 min power walk, do 25 min of fast walking and then 5 min of very light and relaxed comfortable running with nose breathing only).
- Increase the duration of running by about 2 min per session only so that your ligaments and tendons can readjust themselves to this physical load increase. Hence, the amount of running will increase very gradually: 5 min, 7 min, 9 min, 11 min, and so forth. In about 2-3 weeks you should be able to run for 30 min without any negative effects.
- Always use running shoes with soft sole. (Consider barefoot walking and barefoot running since these are nearly ideal Buteyko exercises.)
- If you later start to have longer running sessions (up to 30 min and more), run on a soft surface (e.g., grass, sand, snow, or gravel), but not on hard surfaces like roads and concrete pathways to avoid injuries.
This approach is similar to Graded Exercise Therapy, which has been used in clinical practice with very limited success due to negative mouth breathing, which cancel main benefits of running for most people.
Keep in mind that for breathing retraining and higher body oxygen levels, it is smart and useful to do some "uncomfortable" or "ascetic" things (like taking cold shower with certain rules, sleeping on hard beds, sleeping in a sitting position, and running when it is windy, raining or snowing), but running with pain in your knees or feet is not a good idea. Graduality is the key to success in getting the most benefits of running.
For advanced students who are interested in getting the most benefits of running, here is an excellent gadget to train with resistance (as at high altitude), but with high body CO2. It is called Training Mask. Here is its review and physiological effects: Training Mask.
Web pages about cardiovascular endurance, physical exercise, running, body
building, and sports:
- Cardiovascular endurance and body O2 levels: How brain and body oxygenation influence cardiovascular endurance, desire to exercise, fitness-related lifestyle factors and physical health
- Physical health: It is impossible without high body-oxygen levels since low tissue oxygenation promotes chronic fatigue, diseases and abnormal states of the mind
- Breathing techniques for running: Which breathing techniques provide maximum body oxygenation at rest and during running?
- Benefits of physical activity: The main benefits of correct physical activity for health are due to more oxygen in body cells. Learn how to exercise correctly to get maximum benefits from exercise and sports
- Benefits of running correctly include increased cell and body-oxygen levels provided that you run with nose breathing only (in and out) mimicking some effects of high-altitude training
- Altitude training especially at really high altitude helps to improve O2 transport due to hypoxic effects. This improves VO2max and endurance. However, one does not need to train or run at high altitude in order to get maximum sports and endurance benefits. Learh how you can get more benefits at the sea level.
- Effects of exercise on the respiratory system: They are short-term and long-term and mainly depend on your breathing route: mouth vs. nose breathing
- Effects of lifestyle factors on sport performance are individual, but they all relate to increased O2 levels in body cells
- How to build more body muscle with less diet protein: Bodybuilding does not require as much protein in one's diet to build muscles if the body cells are well oxygenated due to correct breathing 24/7
- Natural bodybuilding requires high body oxygen levels in order to be safe, beneficial for health, and really natural
- Graded exercise therapy: How to Make It Very Effective: Graded exercise therapy can be very beneficial, if it is done with one old key rule: nose breathing only
- Training Mask: Most advanced forms of physical exercise to boost body oxygenation, VO2max, endurance, and health.
Short sport and fitness articles: Breathing at rest, cardiovascular endurance
and sport performance:
- Simple breathing exercise for higher VO2max
- Changing VO2max by breathing differently at rest
- Exercise is joy only when the body is oxygenated at rest
- When exercise is 100% safe for chronic diseases
- Why modern man gets little, if any, benefits from exercise
- Which exercise parameters increase body oxygenation
You can leave your feedback and comments below. Thanks.
|Disclaimer||Copyright 2014 Artour Rakhimov||Contact details|