Grounding the Body for Health: Earthing Methods
You can ground yourself (get electrically connected with Earth) for some part of the day and/or during sleep using simple techniques discussed on this page. Most people can find nearly all required materials and parts in their household.
Note that soles of arms and feet are the most conductive areas on the surface of the human body.
Warning. Excessive grounding (for previously ungrounded and currently sick people or pregnant females) can trigger a cleansing reaction and is potentially very dangerous. Therefore, as for breathing retraining, grounding yourself requires a good knowledge of temporary restrictions and contraindications.
How to ground yourself during daytime
1. Barefoot walking or barefoot running is the easiest and cheapest option. If you are new to barefoot activities, use this method for some weeks only in the first part of the day (before 6 pm or even 2 pm) since excessive stimulation of nerve endings of the feet can cause problems with sleep.
If you can find soft grass, use it for up to 30-60 min, better in the early morning (wet grass is more conductive).
2. You can ground yourself using a simple device that is shown on the right. This particular homemade DIY device can be used only in the USA and Canada since it is made for a three prong US outlet. If you are located in a different country, study the details provided below.
To make this device, you need:
- an electrical cable
- 2 copper clad clamps (which can be found in hardware stores)
- a standard three prong plug
- electrical tape.
You can get electrically connected (or grounded) with Earth using a copper cable, which is easy to find in electrical and hardware stores. (Other electrical cables can be used too.)
Both electrodes (copper pieces of this device) can be kept on the soles of your feet (barefoot, or in your socks, or sandals) or on your waist (less preferable due to a much better conductivity of soles).
The pieces of copper can be attached to your K1 (Kidney 1) acupuncture points (see the picture), which are probably the most conducive places on the skin of the body. You can fix those flat copper pieces on the K1 points using a surgical tape for a better connection.
This is one of the simplest and cheapest methods how to ground yourself to start.
If you use a plug with a cable from old electrical appliances, keep in mind that the ground wire and ground prone are located in the middle.
As you can see on the picture of the device, 2 upper prongs (flat prongs) of the plug are bent for safety reasons, while the round prong (for grounding) is left for use.
3. Foot bath with salty water. In your home, fill a wide foot basket with 2-3 liters of water. Add 2-3 tablespoons of sea salt and stir to dissolve. Keep one or both copper electrodes in water, with another end of the cable connected to Earth. If there are no contraindications, use it 2, 3 or more times per day. This last method provides nearly an ideal connection between Earth and the human body and offers the best grounding for feet.
Grounding the body during sleep
Earthing during sleep is the suggested method especially for those people who have low results for the morning body-oxygenation test. One end of the grounding cable should be connected to Earth and the other one to an object that will be in contact with your body.
Where to attach the grounding end?
There are different options for grounding depending on your current location and availability of plumbing and heating tubes.
1. If your sockets are connected with a ground (Earth) cable, this is the cable that you can get connected. The solution for the USA and Canada was mentioned above. Here is an image of such a plug attached to a ground cable of a socket (the left picture).
2. If you are located in the UK or Ireland, you can disassemble the plug (usually you need to unscrew one or more bolts), and get connected only with the upper middle prong connected to Earth. You can do the same in other countries that have ground cables connected to Earth.
3. If you live in continental Europe or some other country, or if you live anywhere in the world, you can get connected to plumbing or central heating tubes (see the left image). In this image, the copper part of the cable was separated from a plastic coating (this can be done with ordinary scissors), and then this end was fixed with electrical tape. Other types of tape may also be used. The crucial thing is to achieve good contact between metal parts. Also, make sure that your cable is attached to pure metal that does not have paint (generally paints are nonconductive).
Devices and electrodes for body contact
1. A simple DIY device (see the picture above) with 2 copper pieces can be used to get connected with Earth during sleep. You can wear socks during sleep and keep the device electrodes in socks. Optionally, you can use a surgical tape for holding the copper pieces attached to K1 points.
2. It is possible to apply a conductive tape on your bed linen and get a strip across the bed so that your body has contact with this metal strip during sleep. However, such conductive tapes can be found only in particular electrical stores. Here is a similar solution how to ground yourself using materials that can be found in many homes.
If you have (or can find) an ordinary aluminum foil (used for baking) and a wide plastic tape (or duct tape, or blue tape), then you can easily make a grounding metal strip from these materials.
How? Attach about 50-60 cm (20-24 inches) of aluminum foil to the sticky side of the tape. Then you need to fix this metal strip in the middle of your bed. The next image shows this metal strip located on a bed sheet.
Warning. Make sure that the exposed metal part is facing up so that your body can touch it during sleep and you can get grounded yourself.
Warning. Do not use foils from potato chips and similar food wrappings. Both sides of such foils are usually covered with a thin (invisible) layer of plastic that prevents electrical current and flow of electrons.
After this, you should connect this metal strip with the end of the copper wire. You can achieve this using a simple tape (better an electrical tape since such tapes are more sticky).
There are many other ways to ground yourself. Which methods are better? One of the effects of grounding is that generally sick and severely sick people have stronger perspiration with higher conductivity of their skin. As a result, they get more electrons during the grounding.
Regarding the methods themselves, their efficiency depends on:
- a surface area of grounding
- skin conductivity of this area (or resistance)
- duration of grounding.
Warning. Do not use grounding during thunderstorms due to the presence of lightning. In the long run, personal safety can be increased with application of one trick that is used for nearly all commercial devices. This trick and its exact parameter (the number) is provided right below here as your bonus content.
Warning. People with serious health problems, those taking certain types of hormones and other medical drugs, pregnant women and people with transplants, need to be aware of temporary restrictions and contraindications.
How many hours per day to ground yourself
The body requirements in Earthing in hours depends on many factors: some are fine with only 1-2 hours per day, others would need more (for example, 6-8 hours during sleep), while there are people who get maximum or optimum benefits when are grounded 24/7. Experience of our breathing students shows that, for any person, he or she needs more grounding when the CP (body oxygen test) is lower, and when they have more inflammation. The approximate statistic (observations about CP-Earthing needs in hours) is in the bonus content below.
Other methods to ground yourself
If you find Earthing beneficial, you can investigate more on this topic or purchase Earthing products. The most significant choice and most popular/effective products to use can be found in another bonus content right below here.
In this video below, Dr. Artour Rakhimov explains how Earthing (Grounding) was introduced for the NormalBreathing course, while Dr. Buteyko advised barefoot walking for breathing retraining: Earthing and Barefoot Walking.
There is one source of grounding sandals (footwear) (only for the United States, Puerto Rico, and Canada): www.getgroundedfootwear.com.
For those who like running and remain grounded, consider using these Earthing sandals. Click on the image on the right for more detail. Note that if you run on the ordinary road or a stadion, asphalt or paving is not conductive. However, if you run on a grass or soil, then you can remain grounded.
A great book about grounding-Earthing
The image on the right side is a link to the most popular book on Earthing which has the title "Earthing: The Most Important Health Discovery Ever?". You can choose this book in paper back, Kindle or MP3 audio format.
For review of clinical studies related to effects of Earthing click here: Earthing benefits.
I plan to write a detailed manual "Earthing: How to Ground Yourself" that will be available on this and Earthing pages.
New breathing students with terminal conditions (end-stage disease) are accepted on CureEndStageDisease.com with Dr. Artour's Triple Guarantee.
You can leave your grammatically correct feedback and/or comment on the most relevant page. It may be below. Thanks.